Article ID: 000004006
This indicates that the filter either has been deleted, or cannot start the driver. For example, some anti-virus activities might see Mozy watching all file activity and think that is suspicious. If you find that this error keeps coming back, make sure Mozy is added to your anti-virus software's list of allowed programs.
Note: Disabling your anti-virus or security software will not resolve this error or prevent it from occurring again.
Update the Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package (Mozy 2.12 or earlier)
If you are using the Mozy windows client version 2.12 or earlier, the filter error is likely caused by a failure to update to the newest version of Mozy. In this case, before updating Mozy you must first update your Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package. Once the Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package has been installed, you can update Mozy, which will fix the filter error. (32-bit / 64-bit)
If you are not sure if your computer is 32 or 64 bit, see this Microsoft article. Look for the question How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
Update to the latest version of Mozy
To view your current version of Mozy, right-click the Mozy icon then select About.
Reinstall the Mozy Filter
To resolve this issue:
- Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to C:\Program Files\MozyPro or to C:\Program Files\MozyHome.
- Right-click the Mozy.inf file, and select Install.
- Start a backup by right-clicking the Mozy icon, then selecting Start Backup.
If you still get the filter error:
- Click Start, in the search bar type cmd, and then right click on the CMD.exe (Command Prompt) icon and select Run As Administrator.
Windows XP: You will need to select Run before typing cmd.
Windows 8: In the tiles window type cmd, right-click the CMD program, then at the bottom of the screen select Run As Administrator.
- In the command prompt, type one the following commands.
- For MozyHome type: net start mozyfilter
- For MozyPro type: net start mozyprofilter
If you see a message that indicates it is already started, try another backup. If the backup fails again, contact support for further assistance.
If you see a message that indicates it Cannot start, then something is stopping the filter from running. Some common causes are:
- You don't have access, and need to login as an administrator of the computer.
- There is security software that is stopping the filter from starting or being installed.
- If you are in a virtual environment it is possible that your host OS doesn't have permission to start or install the filter.