Send Files to Mozy by Data Shuttle
Article Reference ID: 000247641
Prerequisite: Before you can use Data Shuttle, you must contact Mozy sales to learn whether you meet the requirements. For more information, see Sending Files to Mozy on a Hard Drive.
Note: If you're using a virtual machine, be sure USB pass-through is enabled.
When the Data Shuttle device is connected, the Data Shuttle wizard provides guidance for the file transfer process.
In Linux, you can check the status of a backup with the state command.
Note: A return shipping label is also in the package. Keep the label and original packaging to use when sending the Data Shuttle device back to Mozy when the transfer of files to the device is complete.
- If the Mozy backup software is not yet installed on the computer to be backed up with Data Shuttle, download and install it now. For more information, see Download Mozy Software.
- Connect your Data Shuttle device to an available USB port on your computer of server. If you’re using USB 2.0, you might need to plug in both USB connectors to power the drive. If a backup is in progress, it automatically stops and is redirected to the Data Shuttle device. If you are in Linux continuous mode, automatic backups are paused.
- (Optional) If you have multiple Data Shuttle devices connected, then select the volume you want to use when prompted. In Linux, the backup software automatically selects and fills each device as needed.
- Verify and save the selection of files for transfer. The transfer of files starts automatically, encrypting the files and transferring them from the computer to the Data Shuttle device. In Linux, type mozyutil datashuttle --format to format the device for Linux and begin the transfer.
- (Conditional) If the size of the transfer is large enough, more than one Data Shuttle device is sent. In that case, when prompted to do so, connect the additional Data Shuttle devices successively as the transfer proceeds. In Linux, if a device is full but the backup is not complete, the state is IDLE (SEED_FULL). Disconnect the drive, connect another drive, and repeat the previous step.
- Once the files have been transferred, pack the Data Shuttle device, the cables, and the power cord into the original packaging and return it to Mozy using the provided overnight shipping label. In Linux, the backup is complete if the state is IDLE (SEED_SUCCESS).