Restore a Spanned File from Multiple DVDs to a Mac MozyPro Admin GuideArticle Reference ID:000016538
Prerequisites: Before you insert the first DVD:
- have the restore volume DVD and all its supplement DVDs ready.
- have the password you received by email for unlocking the shipping encryption. If you lose this key, please request assistance here: http://support.mozy.com/support/restorehelpform.
- close all applications that might be using the files you are restoring.
- have your personal key available if you chose to encrypt your backups with a personal key when you installed the MozyPro backup software. For more information, see Decrypting My Restored Files.
- Create a folder on your computer into which you will copy the contents of the restore volume and its supplemental DVDs. The folder should be easy to get to, such as a folder named Restore on your desktop.
- Insert the first restore DVD into the drive. This is the DVD with a label like this, Restore: Vol X of N.
- Select one of the following options:
- If a window appears showing the contents of the DVD, go to Step 5.
- If you see a prompt for choosing whether to run mac_restore or whether to open a folder to view files, choose to view the files in a folder, then go to Step 5.
- If a window appears instructing you to copy all partial archives into one directory, press any key, then go to the next step.
- If you see no prompt at all, go to the next step.
- Click Finder in the Dock, then open the DVD drive. A window appears showing the contents of the DVD.
- Select all the files on the DVD and copy them into the folder you created in Step 1 above, then eject the DVD.
- Insert the first supplement DVD for this spanned file. This is the DVD with a label like this, Supplement Disk 1 to Vol. X, where X is the same number as was on the label for the restore DVD in Step 1 above.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 above for this DVD, copying all files into the same folder you created in Step 1 above. Do this for each supplement DVD that belongs to the restore volume DVD described in Step 2 above. This will take some time.
- When the contents of the restore DVD and all its supplement DVDs are copied into the same folder, look in that folder and find and double-click on mac_restore.
- In the Enter password field, enter the password you received in an email, then click OK. A Terminal window appears. The file is uncompressed, reconstructed and copied to the folder you are currently in, which should be the folder you created in Step 1 above. This will take some time.
- Move the fully-restored spanned file into the appropriate folder on your computer. Assuming that you have already restored files from other DVDs as described in Restore from DVD to a Mac, this folder is somewhere in the structure created by that process.
Note: If a file with that name is already present in that location, you can choose whether to replace it in that location with the version you have copied. After you are sure you have moved the file into its final location, you can delete the folder you created at the beginning of this process. To finish the example, this would be the Restore folder you created on your desktop, and all its contents.
- In this same folder (the one from Step 9), navigate through the folder structure to find the restored spanned file, then copy it. This is the same folder structure the file was in on your computer when you backed it up.
- Navigate to the appropriate destination folder on your computer, then paste it. This destination folder is somewhere in the structure created by the process of restoring files from other DVDs you received. You may need to manually create this folder if it was not created yet.
Next Steps: If you chose to use personal key encryption when you installed the MozyPro backup software, you must decrypt your files before you can use them. For more information, see Decrypting My Restored Files.