Decrypt Files on Windows with Your Personal Encryption Key
Article Reference ID: 000247010
If you chose to use your own personal encryption key when you first installed Mozy software on your computer and you later used Mozy on the Web to recover your files, you can download the Crypto Utility to provide your personal key and thereby decrypt those files. This applies to files you download from backed up computers as well as to your files synchronized in the Mozy cloud.
You can decrypt files on a Windows computer or on a Mac, regardless of what computer they were originally backed up from. If you are restoring to a Mac, read this topic: Decrypt Files on a Mac with Your Personal Encryption Key. If you are restoring from one platform to another, there are specific issues you should be aware of. For more information, see Why Platform Matters.
- Click the appropriate link to download the Crypto Utility.
- Save the file to a location you will remember later (such as your Desktop).
- Right-click on the Crypto Utility file, then click Run as administrator to run the program.
- Select one of the following key options, then click OK.
Enter Key Enter the password phrase you used to create your personal key. Import Key Browse to the location of the file containing the key you saved locally when you first installed the Mozy backup software. Import Encrypted Customer Key Browse to the location of the file containing the encrypted corporate key, and then browse to the location of the shared secret key.
- In the Source Folder field, specify the folder where you saved the files you restored.
- In the Destination Folder field, specify the folder where you want to place the decrypted files.
Note: The Source and Destination folders cannot be the same. If you're restoring to an operating system identical to the one you backed up from originally, you can specify the appropriate drive letter. If not, you'll want to understand the information in this topic: Why Platform Matters.
- Click Decrypt to decrypt the files. The files are decrypted to the specified destination.